Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Scratchboard

SELF EVALUATION

  1. Describe the subject matter and meaning of your artwork.
 The meaning behind this piece of artwork is to represent my love for the beach. I thought it would be fun to do a scratchboard image of turtles running into the ocean to start their lives. 

2. How did you use textures to enhance your picture?
I used textures to enhance my picture by creating streaks coming from the direction of the turtles movements. This shows the viewer what direction they are moving which leads to the ocean. Waves most of the time have foam from the impact of them crashing into the shore so I made sure to add texture to that area. 

3. How did you balance your artwork and create a well-organized composition?
I balanced my artwork by not adding to much distractions to the image and by that I mean having a main focus where the eye would go when they first see the picture. The two turtles are spaced out well and the streaks don't cross into one another because if they did it wouldn't make sense due to the fact that they aren't walking the same paths. 

4. How did you imply movement in your drawing?
I implied movement by creating the streaks coming from the turtles feet to show which way they're moving. They are going towards the ocean overall. 

5. How could you improve your artwork?
I could improve my artwork by adding more detail. If you were to look at the scratchboard you can tell what it is but I think if I added more detail it would have a stronger visual appeal. 

6. How did you demonstrate a wide range of shading values?
A demonstrated a wide range of shading values by making the "footprints" of the turtle light in some areas. I did this by pressing down lightly on the scratchboard so that it didn't take away a lot of the black. Then in other areas I pressed down harder so that it added more value. The turtle shells were created with bold white lines. I did this because I want that to be the first thing that stands out to the viewer. Overall I think I succeeded in making my vision come to life. 







No comments:

Post a Comment