Friday, January 13, 2017

Self Portrait Drawing

                                                                                                
  1. Discuss your drawing.  Use your own words to describe, analyze, interpret and judge your artwork.  Add art vocabulary to make your critique better.  There are a few questions to guide you so you need to be as in depth as possible. 
The title of this drawing is "Growth" by Zari Wilson (me). I created this in my drawing class over a period of time. In order to do this drawing I used pencil and a manila piece of paper. The meaning behind this picture is that I wanted to show the difference between the way I used to look, to now. As you can see I wore piggy tails as a little girl to now wearing my hair out. Also you can just see how the face matured as a whole. I didn't truly capture the image I wanted to because I don't feel as if the image resembles me. I will need a lot more work in this area. 

  1. Discuss how you accomplished depth and value in your drawing. Why did you choose the portrait style that you did? What is the most important aesthetic quality of your drawing? How were you able to give the viewer and interesting experience with your choice of medium and techniques? If you are unsure what aesthetic means then look up the meaning and write it with your critique.  
I accomplished using depth and value in my drawing by trying to focus on areas that would usually have shadows around them. With the eyes I put some value beneath them because I wanted to show how I am getting older and my sleeping schedule isn't nearly as nice as it used to be which causes bags. Also, with the noses you can see that I added value beneath them because it typical to see a shadow there. I chose this portrait style because it allows me more space to draw. If I drew this image vertically instead of horizontal I would have trouble fitting everything onto the paper. The most important aesthetic quality of my image was to get the proportions correct. By having the heads connect to each other I was able to give the viewer an interesting experience. 

  1. Does your drawing evoke feeling and expression? How did you accomplish this?   
My drawing evokes a feeling of seriousness because the expression is flat. I didn't necessarily want to add an expression because I wanted the viewer to focus mainly on the physical traits of the person changing. When I look at the drawing it makes me think about life and how time flys by. We should cherish every moment that we have on this earth because it could either be taken away from you in a blink of an eye or one day you'll wake up and realize you're an old woman. You'll never be as young as you are today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment